After many, many years of eating way too much bread, my body has finally said, enough. I started with years of tummy pain, headaches, cold symptoms, extreme tiredness and dare I say it, constipation. For too long I ignored it due to the busyness of my life. Now I have reached the stage I literally cannot stomach any wheat at all. This has led me on a journey of finding not only a suitable gluten free loaf but a tasty one.
Here is one I made today that is so simple, moist and tasty. I found this recipe on the Hippie Lane app. (LOTS of yummy recipes there, I highly recommend it). I would cook it a little longer next time to get a golden colour but I had to go out so I didn't have time to leave it in the oven longer. It is still cooked perfectly on the inside.
1 1/2 cups (165g) almond meal
1/4 cup (40g) flax meal
1/4 cup (20g) psyllium husk
1/4 cup (30g) tapioca flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bi carb
3/4 cup (120g) flax meal (extra) + 1 cup water
2 tbsp grapeseed oil
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
2 tbsp chia seeds
1. Combine almond meal, flax meal, psyllium husk, tapioca flour, salt, and bi carb in a medium bowl.
2. In a small bowl, whisk flax meal and water vigorously with a fork and add to the dry flour mix.
3. Add oil and combine well. the batter should become dough like.
4. Fold through seeds.
5. Pour batter into a small loaf tin and bake at 170c for approx 30 mins (may need longer to get the golden colour).
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool.